Drobo

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
14 November 2017 13:24
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi all

I am looking at Drobo for storage! What do you think of them are they OK as I been hearing stories about them not been reliable? Also can you dasie change them at all please?

Thank you

Brian

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 November 2017 14:39
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

First and foremost.... do NOT rely on any disk system to be a one-stop solution for live storage & backup. Having a good backup strategy with multiple copies is so important.

Personally I think Drobo are expensive and would rather throw the money at an empty QNAP NAS chassis and populate it with my own drives. I use QNAP NAS devices in work and they're very good. You do need a decent amount of computer literacy though to set them up (though that could be said of any NAS/networking system).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
15 November 2017 04:46
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi RedChecker
Thanks for your replay on this!

I understand what you mean and this what i am looking at so i have 3 copy's of my images! So i am looking into different way to do this! So far i got external hard drives, but i what to do bit more so i can have of site as well! Cloud not a option as i got very slow broadband!

I will be looking at NAS but what putting me off a bit as there running 24/7 and i not what the noise! How noise are the QNAPS units please?

Thanks
Brian

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 November 2017 05:04
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how noisy they are as there's a rack of full-sized servers in the same room (and they're very loud).

If the QNAP cases are anything like my Netgear one... you can tolerate them for working, but you will notice the hum from them if (say) you have them in an adjacent room to where you sleep (unless either you, or the case itself powers down for the evening of course).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
angelica1 Courtneygiles00 Just_janine tim
andrewmoon Auctioneer Belemboo Cheshunt83 coolcamel distortedecho djb1 doughnut jonnywoo laurencejpower MauricesImagery moorlane musicman oneimage
tim